Monday, 25 March 2013

Reflection1: A Desktop Computer



We have a desktop computer in the 4 year old room in our centre. Te Whāriki says that “children gain experience in using communication technologies such as crayons, paintbrushes, pencils, calculators, books, and computers” (Ministry of Education, 1996, p.97). Computers are a communication tool thus it is a technology.



The children can access the computer during their free play time, and also teachers often use the computer for 4 year old children in an investigation time. For example, one day, one of the teachers gathered 4 year old children on the mat and showed them You-tube to study about frogs. At that time, the children’s interest was in frogs. The children could study frogs in books but it was valuable for them by looking at the movements of the frogs and how they live in movies too. By using You-tube, we can explore and study so many things all over the world when we are sitting on the mat in the centre or in the house and wherever. For instance, the children studied the frogs that live in the Amazon on that day.



When I saw this activity, I feel very positive about using You-tube for children’s learning. I find it very useful myself to use You-tube for my learning about children’s songs and activities for mat-time. I did not grow up in New Zealand so it is interesting to see every movement and how teachers teach young children through songs and activities, and I can look at the movements of him/her again and again on You-tube. In addition, I can look for what exactly I want to know in a very short time by just putting key words in the space for search. Research has proved that “for many children the computer is a catalyst for information sharing, language development, and decision making” (Tsantis, Bewick, & Thouvenelle, 2003, p.7). Therefore, I think it is an effective learning way for the children using internet sites and You-tube to investigate something related to the children’s interests together with teachers. Papic and Mulligan argue that “under competent adult supervision, the use of the Internet as a technological tool to support mathematics and science learning can begin in the preschool years. Young children can be assisted to explore websites dealing with events and interests in their environment”(Talay-Ongan & Ap, 2005, p. 229).



As I mentioned at the beginning of this reflection, 3 year olds and 4 year olds can access the desktop computer by themselves during their free play time. I noticed that some children occasionally sit at the computer and explore with some educational software but not using internet access. Nowadays even preschoolers know how to access the internet so I believe it is very important to protect the children from information and pictures of offensive language, violence, and sex. 

Through the educational software, the children will increase their knowledge of how to use a keyboard, how to play with the software, and computer language. “Observations in early childhood programs across the country have strongly supported the importance of early computer awareness/literacy” (Tsantis, Bewick, & Thouvenelle, 2003, p.8).

Personally, I can use a computer in a very basic way. I use email, word documents, power points, going to the internet to get information, booking and so on. However, I use Windows not Mac. I am not familiar with an Apple computer. The article says that "when teachers feel they don't need to be familiar with computers or engaged in the process of helping children reflect on what they are learning while using the computer, the value of the technology is seriously diminished" (Tsantis, Bewick, & Thouvenelle, 2003, p.4). I can see many early childhood centres using an apple computer including our centre. Mac is quite different from Windows in its way of use so I have to learn how to use a Mac computer.

 








Reference list

Ministry of Education. (1996). Te Whāriki: He whāriki matauranga monga mokopuna o Aotearoa: Early childhood curriculum. Wellington, New Zealand: Learning Media Limited.


Talay-Ongan, A., & Ap, E. A. (Eds.). (2005). Child Development and Teaching Young Children. Southbank, Victoria, Australia: Thompson Social Science Press.

Tsantis, L. A., Bewick, C. J., & Thouvenelle, S. (2003). Examining some common myths about computer use in the early years. Young Children, 58(1), 1-9.




4 comments:

  1. It is amazing to see some young children, who might not even know the alphabets, using ipads. They are experts in turning pages till they get what they want. You were very honest about your confession of your lack of knowledge in computers. As you said, nowadays it is essential for the teachers to know all the istuff, so we need to switch to apple from windows.

    I don’t think pre-schoolers require educational software just to learn basic computer skills. Software programmes are expensive, so they can start familiarising hardware such as keyboards and mouse. They can also learn how to switch on/off a computer.

    You are right that teachers should have concern about internet safety. Most of the centres might have a password, so that the children could use internet only in front of the teachers’ watchful eyes.

    Next time, when you have a teaching theme, you may get some songs connected to that theme and teach the children. Also you can get some craft ideas from You Tube, along with the internet information about that theme. These will help children to understand the theme better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great and simple reflection Miyuki to understand. As agreed with Judy it is amazing to see so many of our children today who are so capable of using the internet as well as the computer. It was also great that you were able to teach yourself about the ways of using the computer as you mentioned you were not so much familiar with other programs. Moreover, it is also great to see that your centre encourages children to use other sources in the internet such as you tube. Also, teaching children about net safe is also vital as children will be aware of other sites that may not be suitable for children. There are also safety settings that your centre could look up to keep these sites secure from the children. Great work Miyuki I enjoyed reading through your reflection on Computer technology.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As we all agree that young children are well versed in the use of information technology in New Zealand and around the world. I agree with you to the fact that when we were growing up computers were not used for education purpose they were used in offices. But it is the 21st century now and children learn computers when they are in the womb. Computer use among preschoolers has to be guided and protected as they are developing their knowledge and safe use of technology should be promoted.
    As you pointed when teachers’ are reluctance to move beyond basic awareness of computers and toward integrating computer technology into teaching and learning the educators are undermining the importance of effective and appropriate uses of computers as powerful educational resources for young children and for themselves as teachers. (Tsantis, Bewick, & Thouvenelle, 2003, p.1-2).
    I acknowledge the need for us as educators to learn more about technology I would encourage you to integrate Ako as concept to teach and learn with young children.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I personally do not have good skills either to use a computer. I have struggled all throughout the course .It made me realise how much behind and unaware I was from the technological world. After realising this I just decided to embrace it and started getting involved in using the computer for teaching children in my centre. In my mission I discovered how helpful computer technology was .It almost solved my difficult problems in no time .Saying this I have to agree to your point of children getting expose to in appropriate information. Tsantis, Berwick &Thouvenelle, 2003 states that as educators we need to judge and select appropriate educational software in order to support children's active learning. I have used YouTube clips with my centre children and it was very effective, interesting and it developed children’s curiosity for learning. You can try using it too.

    ReplyDelete