Monday, 25 March 2013

Reflection 2: An Electric Piano



Our centre has an electric piano. When I saw it for the first time, I was not sure if 3 or 4 years old children were able to use it because it is quite complicated to use.



One day when I arrived at the centre, I noticed that three children aged 3 were sitting at the electric piano and were touching the keyboard together. Tunes were coming out of the piano, and the three children were pretending to be playing the piano with the melodies. They were making rhythm with their bodies. I came to the children and started to hum along to the tunes.

The electric piano has a lot of buttons and knobs. I had no experience with an electric piano. I can not play any musical instruments anyway. I asked the children how they make tunes on the piano and what else they can do on it. One of the children showed me the switch button where they turn the piano on and off, the knob for volume, and the buttons which have numbers on them for making tunes. Their knowledge about the electric piano was just very basic; however, they were exploring it themselves. They were full of imagination when they were using the piano.



I suggested to them to try other buttons which they had not pressed yet, and see if something new happens. By trying other buttons, the children had found out that they can make sounds not only from piano but other different kinds of musical instruments such as a trumpet, a tambourine, a drum, a flute, and a guitar. They also had found out the piano can make a melody of their favourite song called ‘Twinkle twinkle little star’. They made that song again and again with joy.   



Through this activity, I recognised that children will learn a sense of music even though they can not play the piano with tunes yet because the piano helps people in making tunes and children listen and learn with it. Technology is “a creative and purposeful activity aimed at meeting needs and opportunities through the development of products, systems or environments” (Smorti, 1999, p.5). The electric piano is thus technology. Children also will be able to recognise and learn each musical instrument and different kinds of rhythms by pressing a button. Te Whāriki states that children develop “familiarity with the properties and character of the materials and technology used in the creative and expressive arts” (Ministry of Education, 1996, p.80). Music is art. Children will be able to express their feelings and emotions in art by using that technology, which means that children will be able to communicate in this technology with others.

It is good to see that the teachers always turn the piano's switch on so that the children can play it whenever they want. I felf that adults need to know how to operate the electric piano so that the technology is more valuable for children's learning; however, another day some 4 year old girls taught me how to use it more confidently. I was surprised how knowledgeable of this technology 4 year olds are. Children are "competent users of technology, active agents in their own learning and very aware of the world beyond their family" (Arthur, & Beecher, & Death, & Dockett, & Farmer, 2007, p.13). With 3 year old children, adults and children can actually investigate each button and knob when they work on the piano together. 4 year old children can teach 3 year old children how to use it too. The children will develop knowledge of technology with the piano and they will confidently know how to study by themselves on it.


Reference list 

Arthur, L., Beecher, B., Death, E., Dockett, S., & Farmer, S. (2007). Programming & Planning in early childhood settings. Victoria Australia, Australia: Cengage Learning Australia Pty Limited.


Ministry of Education. (1996). Te Whāriki: He whāriki matauranga mo nga mokopuna o Aotearoa: Early childhood curriculum. Wellington, New Zealand: Learning Media Limited.


Smorti, S. (1999). Technology in early childhood. Early Education, 1, 5-10.

4 comments:

  1. When I read your reflection, Ako method of teaching came into my mind. You facilitated this session by suggesting them to try other buttons of the piano and the four year olds were teaching you how to use it. This is a perfect example of Ako.
    When I was little I knew only harmonium as a keyboard instrument. Later I had seen piano and it was a wonder to me. Now the technology has improved and I have seen in my centre an electric foldable piano which can even fit in a shoe box. Unlike your centre, the teachers keep it the cupboard and give it to the children once in a while. One day, when I had taken it out, the children gathered around me to have a turn. Since there were many children, I allotted them five minutes each and they took turns beautifully within their time period. We all had great fun on that day.
    These days I have seen piano on ipad. You need to download a software, and then the keyboard appears on the screen. Now the piano is in your palm. Technology!!!!
    One day you can try having a musical concert with the available instruments along with the electric piano.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a great reflection example showing that an electric piano can also be seen as technology, whereas others may have not known this. You clearly understand what you are talking about, and it was great to see that you were very interested in learning about the electric piano as you mentioned you were not used to playing with this type of instrument. I also agree that music allows children to be free, creative, and be able to use their own imaginations about anything that surround them. As Levinowitz (1998) quotes, "If the music environment is sufficiently rich, there will be acontinuous and ever richer spiral of exposure to new musical elements followed by the child's playfulexperimentation with these elements" (Levinowitz, 1998, Paragraph 7). Maybe next time, Miyuki you could implement music by playing music throughout free time so children are free to dance or move to the sounds of the music, or even implement music together with other activities such as painting. Children can paint to the different types of music whether it be fast beat, or slow, and children can paint to however they feel the music means to them. Great reflection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was interesting to read your reflection. I have not seen a real electric piano in many centres. Centres normally have toy musical instruments which children play. During our school days we had music classes, but now young children have access to music and instruments around them. Children are exposed to music through TV, radio, cell phones, ipod and other electronic gadgets. At the preschool age children are exploring different areas of learning and thus gaining knowledge about rhythm, tunes is of interest. To extend the knowledge about pianos and how tunes are created Miyuki you may take help of internet and you tube to show children how basic tunes can be played. My daughter has some basic lessons in piano but now you tube is her teacher. I agree to the fact that children are capable of designing their own path of learning. Technology is a gift for human kind to broaden horizons. I like the way you got yourself engaged with the children by joining in their exploration of the electric piano. Te Whāriki, state, “young children have new capacities for symbolising and representation, creating art, music, and dance...(Ministry of Education. 1996.p.25).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I think it is really good that your centre provides and encourage children to use the electric piano as there are not many centres who value children's creativeness and exploration as they feel that letting children explore the piano on their own might result in the failure of the system of the device and not be able to use it again. They also doubt children’s capabilities and skills in using the technological devices but the fact is they know better that the adults as they live in the technological world. I totally agree to your point of need for teachers to know how to operate the piano as this will give us the skills and knowledge to scaffold children's learning (Smorti, 1999). In your reflection you showed your desire to learn piano .Again technology is a great boon as one can get lessons to learn any musical instrument on computers.

    ReplyDelete